CCJ Set Aside

I am looking for...

Home » Litigation » Setting aside a county court judgment

Setting aside a CCJ

 If you are a defendant needing to apply to set aside a default judgment or a claimant with a default judgment which the defendant is seeking to set aside, our litigation team would be happy to assist you. 

Defendant didn’t receive the Claim form

It is common for a defendant to claim that he, she or it did not receive the claim paperwork. Often, this is may be a mere delaying tactic but there are occasions where a defendant can show they are no longer at the address where the paperwork was sent.

If that is the case, as a claimant, you would be taking a big risk in seeking to dispute the necessity to start again. If you are a defendant who can clearly and unequivocally show that you are not at the address concerned and also explain how you became aware of a default judgment against you, you should first write to the claimant or lawyers appointed setting out the position. If you are then compelled to apply to court to set aside, you will probably be on very solid grounds and have good chances for claiming your legal costs (if any) from the claimant.

Court discretion to set aside default judgment

Under Rule 13.3(1) of the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR), the court can use its discretion to set aside or vary a default judgment if the applicant can show that:

  • he (the defendant) or she has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or
  • it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why
  • the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
  • the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.
  • Importance of applying to set aside quickly

It is also important for the defendant to make the application for default judgment to be set aside as soon as they become aware of the judgment, consistent with taking a county court judgment against them seriously and to avoid prejudice to the claimant, who believes that he, she or they have a valid judgment and may be spending time and money on considering how to enforce that judgment. The promptness of his application will be taken into account by the court. Any application must be submitted with supporting evidence.

If you need experienced solicitors for advise on how to apply to set aside a County Court Judgment or are a Claimant and the defendant is threatening to or has applied to set aside your judgment, get on touch with us for expert legal advice.

View full profile

Contact Us